This covenant is not a listing of duties in addition to what the Bible prescribes, but is rather a brief summary of some of our major responsibilities that it does prescribe.
Having been brought by Divine Grace to repent and receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, and having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, we do now in the presence of the Triune God and this assembly most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another as one body in Christ.
1. I will faithfully participate with this church in worship, prayer, study, fellowship, and the ordinances of baptism and communion, and will use my spiritual gifts for the common good. Through my involvement, and even sacrifice, I will seek to illustrate to my family and a watching world the immense significance of life in the body of Christ.
2. In addition to attending the regular meetings of the church, in the spirit of a true disciple of Christ, I will diligently train myself and my family in the discipline and instruction of the Lord, seeking to develop Christian character and practical godliness.
3. I acknowledge that sin leaves me with weaknesses and failures, but I will not use them to excuse bad behavior, but instead will strive to live a godly life; I will pursue holiness and seek genuine repentance and forgiveness when necessary. I will not abuse or treat as cheap the grace of God by which we are all saved.
4. I will accept and fellowship with all members, regardless of ethnicity, background, social status, level of education, etc. since all are of equal value in Christ.
5. I will pursue peace with all people, especially with other believers, always being slow to take offense and eager to reconcile. I will shun gossip and divisive words, knowing that they are destructive to Christian fellowship.
6. I will seek by Divine Aid to live carefully in the world, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts. I will be just and honest in my dealings and faithful in my responsibilities and commitments. I will abide by the standards of sexual purity and ethical integrity as taught in the Bible.
7. I will watch over the other members in love as they watch over me. I will remember them in prayer, help them in sickness and distress, promote their spiritual growth, and stir them up to love and good deeds.
8. I will seek to maintain a healthy marriage and godly relationship with my children (if applicable) as I know this honors God and is designed to picture the relationship between Christ and the Church. If I am single, I will seek to maintain healthy relationships with others, especially the household of faith.
9. I will contribute cheerfully, voluntarily, and regularly to this church for its general ministry and expenses, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the Gospel throughout the world. I will dedicate myself, my money, and my possessions to the cause of Christ as a faithful steward.
10. I will pray for, seek, and actively proclaim the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ for the salvation of my family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, acquaintances, and people of all nations.
11. If I become consistently neglectful of these duties, or guilty of conduct by which the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, or His church may be dishonored, I understand that I will be counseled, admonished, or if necessary, disciplined as per biblical standards for the purpose of restoring my fellowship with Christ, my fellowship with His church, and for my personal growth in holiness.
**Note: If there comes a time when I decide I no longer wish to be a part of Jackson Bible Church, I will call the church or send a letter letting them know that I no longer wish to be considered a member of the Jackson Bible Church family.
Moreover, I agree that when I leave this church body, I will, as soon as possible, carry out the spirit of this covenant by uniting with another local church where I can be taught to trust and obey the Word of God.
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the Great Shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip us with everything good that we may do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to Whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.